In the spotlight with PACCOR

Drum roll please for Paul Mordue, Project Manager at PACCOR UK.

PACCOR supplies the food industry with sustainable plastic packaging solutions.

They manufacture PET plastic products which are made from post-consumer waste and its own internal plastic waste stream making their products 100 percent recycled content and 100 percent recyclable.

The UK site is one of 19 manufacturing sites located in 14 countries around Europe. Group employ 3500 people 250 are based here at Drum.

How would you describe your business in one word. And why?

Innovative.

PACCOR UK have decades of experience which enable us to innovate our operations and products like no others, which places our products at the forefront of the market and our consumer.

We have the ability to turn any customer concept into a live product using a completely internal and experienced process. At our site on the Drum Estate we have our own specialist design team who will turn our customers concepts into 3D Designs and 3D prints. We also have our internal tool making facility allowing us to produce physically samples and full tooling, the products are then produced using the latest thermoforming technologies.

Tell us about your customers.

We supply all the industrial food and food service industry main players including Bakkavor, Samworth Brothers, Muller among others. Our products are filled with food products at these customers and are then sold onto to all the major High Street supermarkets. 85 per cent of our custom is based in the UK and the remaining 15 per cent goes to mainland Europe.

What are your plans for the future?

Plans are already underway to start future-proofing the Drum site ready for new investment. Group have committed to investing in the Drum site and bringing in new technology and increasing the workforce. In terms of size, the Drum site is one of the largest within group who plan to maximise our potential.

 

Why is the Drum Estate your place of business?

The company was originally located in three locations across the UK: Stanley, Livingston and Caerphilly. We needed to merge these three sites into one central UK hub. After looking at a number of options in the North East, Drum offered the space we needed with the bonus of the location of the site having great transport and network links.

What motivates you?

The drive to improve and develop myself. Whatever role I am in I want to push myself to the limits and make the most of the opportunity to ensure I am performing to the best of my ability.

What’s the best piece of business advice you’ve received?

Focus on the employee as much as you would focus on the customer, look after your employees they will look after the company.

And what’s the best advice you’ve given?

Improve don’t perfect. Don’t look for perfection; its very rarely there. As long as you improve success will come over time, strive for constant improvement not perfection.

Tell us about your most difficult challenge so far.

As a young production manager, trying to balance the demands of working in an intense pressured industry and role whilst at the same time becoming a father for the first time and taking on my first mortgage. Getting the work life balance right at that time was the most challenging thing I went through.

And finally, what’s your favourite quote?

“I’ve always liked the quiet people: You never know if they’re dancing in a daydream or if they’re carrying the weight of the world” John Green.